Tuesday, November 6, 2007

This post has not been evaluated by the FDA

Sometimes when there is nothing to write about, I just start typing and hope that the words that pile out onto the page end up making sense. Actually, I really just hope that there are enough of them that it looks like I wrote a lot and cared deeply about something. Maybe I should use a larger font and double line spacing.

Ethan and Sydney are very different people. Even though they are so different, they get along really well. Surprisingly well. too well.. Do I smell a conspiracy? Anyway, I started out by talking about how different they are.

Ethan. Here is a super child. Always so kind and sweet, he is definitely a people pleaser. I never understood the term "Terrible twos" with Ethan. He just didn't go through that. One interesting thing that I have noticed as he develops is that while he is generally trusting, he doesn't just take my word on things, which I think is good. I love that he knows that he is smart and that he wants to check out things that he just doesn't agree with. For example, he has a little v-tech video game system that has the ability to run on batteries or on the ac plug. The system takes little game cartridges, and after trying a few of them I determined that the console was broken. Ethan decided that just plugging it in wasn't enough and that it really needed the batteries too. Well, I tried to explain how it worked and that you either use the plug or the batteries, but not both. The next morning, Ethan told me that he put in batteries but it still didn't work. This was funny because the console takes C size batteries, but Ethan had only been able to find AA. That didn't stop him though, he had those AA's in there ready to go :).

Sydney. When they say that girls are made from sugar and spice and everything nice, I think they were right. Especially the spice part. Don't get me wrong, Sydney is the sweetest girl. There isn't anything like coming home and having a little girl shout "Daddy!!" and run to give me a hug. However sweet, Sydney is in charge, and independent. She loves the feeling of accomplishment, always shouting "I did it!" As we were getting Ethan's v-tech out, I found a little blues clues game, so I plugged it in for her in her room. She loved the feeling of having it be her turn and that she could play it all by herself. It must be fun for her to start being able to do things that she could only watch Ethan do previously.

No comments: