Sunday, February 17, 2008

Blessings

Hi Everybody!

Note: This post is not humorous, nor is it very coherent. I am just writing some thoughts here, so if you are looking for a chuckle, this is not a chuckle bin.

I find it pretty cool that Anne lists blessings at the end of each post in her blog. It not an easy thing to be continually conscious of blessings.

Recently, I read a few blog posts written by an old mission friend of mine. He is a special kind of person. I remember him being stuck in an area for 8 months that had been really ruined by a scandal perpetrated by previous missionaries. That's a long story that I won't get into here, but it is sufficient to say that the name and reputation of the church was in bad shape in this place. Baptism hadn't occured here for as long as any of us had been in the field, but this elder was determined to change things before he left. He really cared about those people and worked so hard to try and turn things around there. Instead of asking for a transfer, he actually asked to stay in the area until he could help at least one person there get baptized. Anyway, cool guy.

So I mention this friend of mine because his blog talks about his current struggles with trying to realize some specific objectives he has for his life. Things are difficult for him right now. He is very poor and not seeing the results that he would like from the work he is putting in. Still, he makes mention of the many blessings in his life. I certainly don't have the same struggles in my life that he has in his. I have different struggles, but I have good reason to be thankful.

I have thought about why it is important to recognize and be grateful to God for blessings, and have some ideas. I don't think that is has to do with ego. I don't think that God needs a pat on the back from us. I don't think He needs our recognition. Just like everything else in this life, I think it is about empowering us. I think that God wants us to realize that we have abilities beyond the limitations of our mortal bodies and minds. We have these extra abilities and resources through Him, in much the same way that our children have limited abilities on their own, but through us they can accomplish much more.

Ok, my point is that recognition of blessings and their source is designed to teach us to learn from and rely on God. I also think He is teaching us to rely on each other.

As we progress in this life and the next, I really believe that it will be important for us to maintain family and friend relationships. Of course, all of us crazy mormons know that families can be forever. But why? Ya, it's fun to be with family, but I think it's more than that. We need relationships for this thing to work. It is the same after this life. I think that as we increase in knowledge and ability in the next life especially, we will rely on those relationships more and more. Does God have family and friends apart from those He has created. I think He does. It makes a lot of sense that the circle of life we see here on Earth is the same circle we experience in the hereafter.

Well, I am a babble-bot. Good bye.

1 comment:

Mahubble said...

I think there are so many reasons to count our blessings that we may never realize them all in this life. The funny thing is that many times we don't see our many blessings until we actively look for them.

Thanks for your musings. You've given me some good things to consider.